BALLSTON SPA, NY (NEWS10) – Christmas has arrived early for a local family. The Ballston Spa Fire Department wanted to sound their sirens and bring joy to a family who needed it most.
Michele Olsen, her mother Jean and her two teenagers have been through a lot in recent weeks. On November 7, part of their house caught fire. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries and everyone came out of the house safe and sound, including their two cats and their dog Penny. âIt shows that you never know what can happen in life, you just don’t know it,â said Michele Olsen, resident of Ballston Spa.
the Ballston Spa Fire Department Answered Michele’s 9-1-1 call that day and arrived on scene within minutes. The family has lost almost all of their belongings, but Michele says everything that has happened is replaceable. In the meantime, the Olsen family are staying in a beautiful rental home in Saratoga Springs. The family calls it their home for the holidays. âI’m so grateful to have this place to call home, it’s wonderful,â said Michele.
Members of the Ballston Spa Fire Department have something very special planned and traveled to Saratoga Springs on Saturday morning. They delivered gifts to the Olsens. Michele was in shock! She didn’t expect Christmas to come early! Better yet, seeing all the first responders who saved their lives. “It was better for us to reach out, to go shopping, we donated the money from our fire companies and where we are today to make them smile,” the fire chief said from Ballston Spa, Kevin Krogh.
âThey went above and beyond and took good care of us,â said Michele’s mother Jean Bemis. Christmas may seem a little different to the Olsen family, but at least they’re all together safe and sound.
Jean Bemis has lived in his Ballston Spa house for 36 years. She is thankful that she, her daughter and her grandchildren are doing well. She also wants to send love to her 90 year old mother who lives in Prattsville NY